Sunday, August 17, 2008

Chocolate Review Un (1)

Switzerland is known for a few important things. Skiing. Peace. Chocolate. I'm already a huge advocate of peace. I don't know how to ski (yet). But I do believe I'm qualified to evaulate the variety of chocolate available in Geneva. I've decided I'm going to spend the fall testing the varieties of chocolate around the city so I can bring home the most tasty and decadant for my family to enjoy at Christmas.

Today I review my first two: Rohr and Aver.

Rohr Chocolates:

Rohr Chocolate's operates an adorable little store at the edge of the old town on a side street that I never would have noticed had I not decided to take a detour along a new path home last Saturday. I was charmed by the store window and went in. Tim was coming to visit later in the day, so under the guise of buying him a welcome gift, I purchased a box of "Mini-pralines 6" for 7.50 Chf. They were packaged in a little golden box with golden ribbon wrapped around it. After the purchase they offered me a plate with a variety of chocolates to sample. The box contained six mini-truffles. Four were round, two were square. Half were dark chocolate, half were milk chocolate. My first piece, a dark chocolate round one, was delish. It had an intense dark chocolate flavor, but with a creamy inside that melted in my mouth. The other two were also fine, but the dark chocolate truffle was superb.
I would definately purchase Rohr chocolate again.

Auer Chocolates

This store is located along the main shopping street in Rive Gauche and also operates as a cafe. On my way back from grocery shopping this week I went to purchase a little treat for making it through my second week in Geneva. I purchased a box of what looked like 16 cocoa-covered rabbit turds for 10 Chf. In fact they were chocolate-covered hazelnuts dusted with cocoa powder. The desk attendent wrapped the turd-chocolates in lovely Auer chocolate wrapping paper and sealed it with a metallic sticker. After purchase, they also offered me a sample of a piece of their dark chocolate. It was excellent. I immediately thought that Sarah would love this dark chocolate. Once I got home, I admired the lovely wrapping of the chocolate and almost hesitated to open it. But alas, I like chocolate more than I like lovely wrapping paper. I was a little disappointed with the chocolates. The coccoa powder made them slightly bitter and the chocolate surrounding the hazelnuts was good, but not decadent. They were still very tasty, but I wouldn't purchase this type in particular again.

So, to recap Chocolate Review Un: Rohr trumps Auer. More to come.

No comments: