Sunday, August 24, 2008

4:00am? Really?

A Hungarian, Pole, Brit, German, American and Swede walk into a bar. No punch line. This was my Friday night. Only we walked into many many bars. Tim and I left at 3:30am. There may have been more bars after that, but we were exhausted.

One of the coolest things about my office is the diversity. Everyone is from somewhere, few are from Switzerland. I've never seen such a diverse group of people get along so well. Everyone loves to poke fun at the other cultures...I've heard some pretty mad impressions of Americans...but it's all in good fun.

Friday night we were celebrating a successful summer for one of the interns on the Mr. Clean team. We started at a cute little bar in Paquis called Le 5 Portes. The atmosphere was artistic and chill, a place you'd expect the grad-school crowd to hang out in...if this were a university town. What I didn't expect was such unbelievable food. When am I going to realize that the food in this city is consistently awesome? Tim and I shared a buffala mozzerella appetizer unlike any other we've had before. The mini-mozzerella balls were served with cherry tomatoes and basil in a parfait glass. On the side was tomato glace....tomato icecream. No kidding. A couple of bottles of wine later we sat back from our equally tasty meals and realized that we were in for a great evening.

Bar One: Can't remember the name. Can't remember where it was. Can't remember what we ordered, but it came in a shaker and the group of six got 5 shots each out of it. It's party time.

Bar Two: The Lounge at the Kempinski. The worlds beautiful people...and wealthy... chill here. Sitting right on the lake, the dj spun house music and the richy-riches drank 20chf cocktails. Not a place I would hang on your average weekend evening, but the place I'll be taking my girls when they come visit.

Bar Three: SIP in Plain Palais. According to the owners, this is not a night club. Whatever. This place bounces. In a multi-store renovated factory building, there's a outdoor patio on the first level, a lounge on the second, and a dance floor on the third. The dance floor was packed when we arrived and we kept it occupied for the next few hours. The music was a dance/house/hip hop melange. I was practically falling over from exhaustion and Tim still had to drag me off the floor cause the music was so good. Ladies, bring your dancing shoes. When you come visit, we're going to show them how it's done.

A twenty minute walk home and Tim and I realized we'd stayed out way past our bedtime. Saturday was a little slow going, but Friday was totally worth it.

1 comment:

SpecialK said...

My new favorite French word for Bethany is Plars. As is parties like a rock star.