Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black & Blue and Basel all over

It's common knowledge that I'm a bit of a klutz. For growing up as a dancer, this seems counter-intuitive, but my feet only seem to move in sync if there is music playing. This weekend Tim and I met in Basel, which is about half way between Frankfurt and Geneva. On Saturday morning, before we even made it to the old-town/pedestrian zone, I stopped to take a picture of a fountain and then promptly fell backwards down 4 concrete steps. Somewhere along the way I flipped around, so that the lip of the last concrete step stopped my fall against the middle of my shins. Yes it hurt. It hurt so bad that I promptly turned white, then green, then thought I was going to pass out then started to cry without even wanting to. The good news is that I didn't turn either of my ankles. The bad news it that it looks like someone took a baseball bat to my shin bones (it feels that way too).

Tim was quite the hero. He practically carried me to a cafe to get me out of the way and to figure out what to do next.. He also convinced me to go to the pharmacy. They gave me this odd creme that acts as a topical pain killer (cool!) and convinced us that I didn't break anything (it really did hurt that much). We then went back to the hotel where I propped my leg up, iced it and longingly looked at the bright sun out of the window and cursed my clumsiness.

This put a bit of a damper on our trip to Basel. Primarily because I couldn't walk for 3 hours and secondly because about 3 hours later when I decided I wanted to walk again, I was limpy and slow. Did I mention that everything worth seeing is in a pedestrian zone?

But, I'm fine now. Achey from the fall, but fine. Walking is not a problem, but steps are a bit of delima. Going down steps is seriosly painful. How fortunate that my bedroom is lofted above the living room. I guess once I get up there, I'll just have to stay there.

Like my shins, Basel is a brilliantly colorful city. This is a place that loves Christmas almost as much as my mom does. Every building was decorated with angel's lofted over the awnings, santa's climbing into windows, bows, ribbons and lights, lights and more lights. 20 foot fir trees were placed along the streets and lit up with candles (electric). Basel boasts "the longest christmas street in Europe" which means the street of the main shopping drag is draped with lit up stars and lights from building to building. It was the opening weekend of the Wiehnachtmarkt (christmas market). The christmas market was nice for the atmosphere, but I found the hoards of people and shacks selling crappy knick knacks a bit overwhelming. Tim and I found a little stand selling foods I've never heard of and gluhwein, a hot wine/cider mix, that warms up everything inside and out. As long as they sell gluhwein, I will visit every christmas market in Europe.

So, bruised but happy, I'm back home, ready for the holidays and thankful that I didn't break anything.

No comments: